Illinois Governor Bruce Rauner has declared Cook, Kane, Lake, and McHenry counties state disaster areas after significant flooding impacted these counties.
Effective immediately, the following guidelines are being implemented:
- Moratorium on cancellations and nonrenewals—Any cancellation or nonrenewal notice issued on or after July 12, 2017, on any in-force policy issued to an affected policyholder and/or property, are withdrawn. In addition, Badger Mutual Insurance will not issue any new cancellation or nonrenewal notices to affected policyholders and/or property until September 30, 2017, or a later time if deemed reasonable given an individual consumer’s circumstance.
- Other insurance-related time-period extensions—Extensions are granted to affected policyholders of any and all policy provisions or other requirements that impose a time limit for an insured or claimant to perform any act, including the submission of a claim or proof of loss, reporting of information, submission of bills, or payment of funds. Such extension shall be for a minimum of 60 days from the last date allowed or required under the terms of the contract or allowed or required by us, or longer if deemed reasonable given an individual consumer’s circumstance.
- Time-period extension for repairs— In the event repairs on affected property cannot be completed within the time period required under any policy, or within the 90-day time period for repairs prior to termination due to condition of the property [215 ILCS 5/143.27], Badger Mutual Insurance shall provide consumers with an extension of not less than 60 days to make such repairs.
- Cancellation or nonrenewal respecting affected property—Although otherwise allowed under Illinois law, Badger Mutual Insurance will refrain from canceling or nonrenewing insurance policies respecting affected property due to “increase in the risk originally accepted” [215 ILCS 5/143.21 and 143.21.1] or due to the geographic location of the risk [215 ILCS 5/155.22].
- Other exceptions to policy or contract requirements or rating or underwriting rules— Badger Mutual Insurance shall consider exceptions to policy or contract requirements, or to other rating or underwriting rules not otherwise listed herein, when such contractual requirements or rating or underwriting rules are not met as a result of this disaster. Exceptions to policy or contract requirements or rating or underwriting rules include instances where an insured is displaced from his or her home and is unable to obtain non-emergency medical services from a network provider.
- Availability of the Illinois Department of Insurance—The Illinois Department of Insurance is available for filing a complaint regarding any disaster-related dispute or issue. Consumers shall be advised they may call the Department’s toll-free complaint hotline at 1-866-445-5364, or file a complaint online at: https://mc.insurance.illinois.gov/messagecenter.nsf